I used 2 skeins of Patons Lace yarn in the Patina colorway, which is variegated from black to grey to white and back again. The lace pattern repeat was easily memorized, and the project was very portable. Each side triangle was crocheted first, then the center gusset of dragonflies was created to join everything together.
I loved creating the side triangles, and adored the project to that point, but did not like the construction technique used for the joining. My final dragonfly “wing” wasn’t in the spot on the diagram that the drawing indicated, so I had to twist that top dragonfly. I would have joined in a different, easier way. I also found a couple mistakes in the written pattern, but looking at the diagram, was able to see what should happen, and continue working through.
When the shawl was constructed, I washed it, then blocked the heck out of it with blocking wires and a plethora of pins and let it air-dry. Blocking helped open up the lace shells & dragonflies and bring the shawl to the specified completed dimensions.
|Holding out the completed Dragonfly Shawl|
|Wearing the Dragonfly Shawl|
|first side triangle|
|Dragonfly shawl blocked and drying|
|Dragonflies in the center gusset|
|Close-up of the stitches|