Crochet Project: Bow Tie for Barnum

At the last minute I decided I could offer a crocheted dog bow tie, like the one I made for my Guide Dog Jack awhile back, as a fun little prize in the special raffle for those who participated in the recent 10th edition of the Assistance Dog Blog Carnival. And carnival founder Sharon, from After Gadget, won the bow tie for her service dog, Barnum!
Crocheted bow tie laying on a dark wooden surface. The bow tie is made of yarn that is dyed various colors including green, teal, blue, purple and red.
Sharon chose the Vanna's Choice in "Aqua" and Red Heart Super Saver in "Heartfelt" from my yarn stash for the bow tie. I used a size G hook and, as I did with Jack's bow tie, I made a few slight modifications to the pattern, since it is for a large breed (Bouvier des Flandres) dog. I worked the Bow section longer (50 st) and a few rows wider (10). Likewise, I worked the neck band a little wider (6 st) and the middle section a little wider (3 rows), to be a more appropriate size. I also added a button hole in the neck band and sewed a button to the back of the bow tie, so it can be fastened around the dog's neck instead of having to be slipped on over his head.
I think Barnum is going to look great in his new bow tie! It should be arriving in Sharon's mailbox soon. :-)

No comments: