Crochet Project: Mesh Hats

Last week, my Sister commissioned me to make some chemo caps for her best friend's Mom who has been battling colon cancer for a while now. During her latest round of chemotherapy the woman has started to lose her hair and she's feeling a bit self-conscious about that. So, my Sister wanted to give her some fun/cute crocheted hats to wear. Yesterday, I found a few patterns on Ravelry that I decided to try for her, including this Mesh Skullcap.
Two photos of the pink mesh skull cap I made: Left side one is  taken via mirror reflection of the cap on my head, and the right side photo is of the pink cap laying on a tan surface.
My Sister picked out Watermelon colored Caron Simply Soft yarn for me to make the hat from, but this project would be great made with thicker yarn too. I tried larger hooks (N as the pattern suggests - as well as L and M - for adult-sized hats), but to me the big/loose stitching didn't look very nice with this slightly thinner yarn that the pattern designer suggested. Using the size K hook worked better for me with this yarn - I just added one extra increasing round between rounds 4 and 5 in the pattern and an extra two of the repeated rounds (13 instead of just 11) to get the hat size correct (since I didn't have the correct gauge with this smaller hook).
I loved how this hat turned out, so just for fun I quickly made one (out of some left over Magenta Knit One Crochet Too Fleece yarn) for myself too.
Mirror reflection of a profile view of the bright purplish-pink cap on my head.
This hat is super-easy to make, and to customize for correct fit (since you can try it on as you go), for those who don’t have problems crocheting in rounds.

1 comment: